Dad saves daughter’s life

Five-month-old Leah-Grace Sweeney was saved by her dad Stuart Sweeney who gave mouth-to-mouth when she stopped breathing. She was treated in hospital for convulsions and epilipsey broght on by flu but is recovering well at home. with Mum Amy Laird
Five-month-old Leah-Grace Sweeney was saved by her dad Stuart Sweeney who gave mouth-to-mouth when she stopped breathing. She was treated in hospital for convulsions and epilipsey broght on by flu but is recovering well at home. with Mum Amy Laird
0
Have your say

TWO big breaths from her dad saved little Leah-Grace Sweeney’s life after the five-month-old stopped breathing in her mum’s arms.

Stuart Sweeney gave his daughter just enough oxygen to last until an ambulance arrived as she was left gasping for air from a life-threatening form of flu.

Leah-Grace was rushed to Pinderfields last Tuesday. And she is now recovering well at her home on Gargrave Place, Lupset.

Mum Amy Laird, 20, said: “Her head just fell back. She was lifeless. I just started screaming.

“Then Stuart pushed me out of the way and gave her two big breaths. She gave a gasp and started breathing again.”

Mr Sweeney, 23, said: “I don’t know first aid. I’d seen people do it on TV. I just reacted because she is my daughter.”

Miss Laird added: “The anaesthetist said Stuart put just enough oxygen down her throat to keep her going. They said I had a lot to thank her dad for.”

Doctors struggled to diagnose what was wrong with Leah-Grace as she suffered fits and convulsions at the hospital.

Miss Laird said: “They had to put tubes in and put her on a ventilator because she couldn’t breathe on her own.

“Just before they taped her eyes closed a little tear just ran down her cheek. I thought I was never going to see her smile again.

“They were just shocked she managed to pull through.”

Miss Laird thanked an ambulance worker who stayed with Leah-Grace at Pinderfields, and staff at the hospital and Leeds General Infirmary, where her daughter was transferred.

She added: “I just can’t thank the hospital enough.”

There was further anxiety for the family when Leah-Grace’s 19-month-old brother Leon was rushed to Pinderfields on Wednesday with a tonsil infection. Both children are recovering at home.