Family make lucky escape from pan fire

editorial image

A couple and their two young children had to be woken up and evacuated by fire crews after a neighbour smelt burning from their flat.

Crews from Wakefield fire station attended the blaze at Sanderson Street at 12.30am today caused by a pan being left on the hob.

Watch commander Ferris said: “We managed to rouse two adults and two children and evacuate them from the property while we dealt with the fire.

“They didn’t have a smoke alarm - it could have been a very different headline this morning. They have been very lucky.”

Ambulance crews checked the family over at the scene and their baby girl was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Watch commander Ferris said: “I vehemently advise that you have working smoke protection in your properties at all time - it could just save your life.”