Fire ‘caused by faulty freezer’

House fire at 55 Weeland Road Sharlston near Wakefield
House fire at 55 Weeland Road Sharlston near Wakefield

A FAULTY fridge-freezer could be to blame for a house fire which resulted in its owner later dying.

An inquest into the death of Henry William Woodhouse Dix, 83, opened on Friday.

It heard that Mr Dix, a widower, was at his home in Weeland Road, Sharlston, when emergency services were called to a fire there just after 5.30am on Tuesday, January 17.

He was taken to Pinderfields Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

He was pronounced dead shortly before 3.30pm on Sunday, January 22.

The inquest heard the fire was thought to be caused by an electrical fault in a fridge-freezer.

It was adjourned for further investigations.