THE city’s new library and museum were opened to the public on Monday.
Wakefield One, on Burton Street, contains a library with more than 60,000 books and a new home for the city’s museum collections.
Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker will visit the city to officially open the library at noon on Saturday, November 10.
But Wakefield Council leader Coun Peter Box got the ball rolling this week by unveiling a plaque to open the new £31m building.
Coun Box said: “I’m delighted that Jarvis Cocker will be joining us for the official opening. It should be a great day, and I hope that as many people as possible come along.”
Jarvis will talk about his experiences of libraries and what they mean to him.
And throughout the day next Saturday there will be a range of activities for families to make use of the new facility. There will be a drop-in Nintendo Wii tournament for teenagers from 10.30am to 11.45am, and again from 12.30pm to 1.30pm.
From 1pm to 2.30pm, in the Library’s Learning Zone, children aged from two to 12 can take part in a creepie-crawlies family workshop called Jeepers Creepers.
Wakefield One is also a one-stop shop for people needing to access council services, including benefits, planning, or school admissions.
It was paid for by proceeds from other council buildings across the district which are now no longer required.
And council bosses said bringing services under one roof would help to save £1m a year.
To book a place on Jeepers Creepers, call 01924 302700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter - Find out what is really happening in the NHS
- Wakefield’s Claire Cooper named Best Actress at British Soap Awards
- Wakefield Wildcats: Mathers set for return at Hull KR as Wildcats sweat on Poore fitness
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- MP calls for halt to ‘delusional’ shake-up at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals new deadline to become Foundation Trust
- Debbie’s stilton the block after a quarter a centu-brie and “Caerphilly” going for a world record attempt
- ‘Bribes’ being offered to fill disused £14m fire control centre in Wakefield
- The Hepworth Wakefield celebrates 2nd birthday with an announcement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South