A FLY-TIPPER dumped rubbish close to the duck pond in Thornes Park.
Scott Taylor, 18, of Victoria Avenue, Darnley, pleaded guilty to a charge relating to the fly-tipping of waste at Willow Lane, Kirkthorpe, at Wakefield Magistrates’ Court.
The court heard Taylor was caught in a sting operation put into action by Wakefield Council officers who found waste dumped at Thornes Park’s duck pond, Low Laithes Golf Club and on Horbury Road in October and December last year.
In all three cases, evidence was found linking the rubbish to an address on Cambridge Street.
A woman living there told officers that three men in their 20s took the waste away after making arrangements with her brother.
The court heard the men were then called to remove waste from a home in Flanshaw, in a council sting operation in February.
The waste, which contained a hidden location device, was taken away by two men and later traced to Willow Lane, in Kirkthorpe.
Taylor, one of two men arrested later that day, claimed he was offered cash by a friend to remove it.
He was ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work, and pay £260 costs and a £15 victim surcharge for his role in the crime.
Magistrates gave him credit for his early plea and co-operation.
The man who had arranged for the waste to be taken from Cambridge Street was given a caution for not checking it was being taken by a licensed carrier.
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- Desperate need for more foster carers- Wakefield needs 50 families
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- Were you one of Wakefield’s coronation babies ?
- Wind turbine debate leaves village in a spin
- HS2 to bring 150 jobs but what’s the cost ?
- Eric Pickles blasts council free-sheets as “knock off imitation”
- Police and martial arts club offer ladies-only self defence classes in Normanton, Wakefield
- Apprentice Francesca Mcduff-Varley will ‘fight to the death’ to impress Lord Sugar
- Win tickets to watch England at Headingley this Bank Holiday
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North