Hospital food in the district has been given a clean bill of health after assurances were sought it did not contain horsemeat.
Bosses at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust contacted food suppliers amid a national scandal of horsemeat being found in products labelled as beef.
Mid Yorkshire, which runs Pinderfields, Pontefract and Dewsbury hospitals, was waiting for “total assurance” there was no horsemeat in food.
A trust spokesman said: “The trust has asked the suppliers of all of its meat products for assurance that they contain no traces of horse meat. The trust has been given this assurance.”
Mid Yorkshire procures food products for Dewsbury and District Hospital. Balfour Beatty, the company which runs Pinderfields and Dewsbury hospitals under a Private Finance Agreement - had also given an assurance about the meals it served.
Foods from burgers to lasagne have been taken of supermarket shelves during the scandal.
Health experts say processed foods like burgers, sausages, pies and ready meals are best avoided at all times.
Dr Andrew Furber, the district’s director of public health, said: “All have high fat and salt content and even foods labelled with 100 per cent meat can have high levels of fatty meat included.
“Eating processed meat regularly is linked to heart disease, cancer and stroke and eating a lot of fat is high in calories, which can lead to excess weight gain.”
- Letter - Find out what is really happening in the NHS
- Wakefield’s Claire Cooper named Best Actress at British Soap Awards
- Wakefield Wildcats: Mathers set for return at Hull KR as Wildcats sweat on Poore fitness
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- MP calls for halt to ‘delusional’ shake-up at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals new deadline to become Foundation Trust
- Debbie’s stilton the block after a quarter a centu-brie and “Caerphilly” going for a world record attempt
- ‘Bribes’ being offered to fill disused £14m fire control centre in Wakefield
- The Hepworth Wakefield celebrates 2nd birthday with an announcement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South