STORIES of personal bravery inspired NHS staff to improve care standards at the trust which runs Pinderfields Hospital.
An annual patient summit at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust used real life patient stories to highlight how services could be improved.
Among speakers at the event was Kate Granger, a trust doctor diagnosed with terminal cancer, who spoke of how her experience as a patient has changed the way she practises medicine.
Kevan Baker, a paralympian treated at the trust’s Spinal Injuries Centre, talked about how the care he received helped him win medals, graduate from university and receive the OBE.
Nicky and Chunky Merrick, parents of Zed, a toddler who suffered second degree burns to his chest, talked about a special “spray on skin” treatment their son got at the trust’s Specialist Burns Unit.
And Andrew Pepper, Mid Yorkshire’s assistant director of finance, shared his experience of accessing NHS services after his dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
Kate Firth, the trust’s assistant director of patient experience and quality, said: “Sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest difference to our patients.
“This event was about influencing practice in our hospitals. We wanted staff to listen to the personal stories being told and to use the experience to change their behaviour and that of their colleagues for the better.”
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- Desperate need for more foster carers- Wakefield needs 50 families
- Were you one of Wakefield’s coronation babies ?
- Wind turbine debate leaves village in a spin
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- HS2 to bring 150 jobs but what’s the cost ?
- Eric Pickles blasts council free-sheets as “knock off imitation”
- Police and martial arts club offer ladies-only self defence classes in Normanton, Wakefield
- Apprentice Francesca Mcduff-Varley will ‘fight to the death’ to impress Lord Sugar
- Win tickets to watch England at Headingley this Bank Holiday
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 11 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North