HISTORIC archives from Nostell Priory are to be preserved.
West Yorkshire Archive Service has been given a £37,000 grant to complete and improve the catalogue of archives of the Winn family, Barons St Oswald of Nostell Priory.
Cash from the National Cataloguing Grants Fund will pay for a project to celebrate the family’s role in the building, furnishing and management of the house and estate.
Nostell Priory features plasterwork by Robert Adam and James Paine, and has a collection of Chippendale furniture, made specially for the house between 1766 and 1776.
The archives still holds bills and letters relating to Adam, Paine and Chippendale.
It also features manorial records from 1605 to 1745, and estate records dating as far back as 1215, when King John confirmed an earlier grant of Nostell to the Priory of St Oswald.
Graham Hebblethwaite, who will oversee the work, said: “The award of this grant could not have come at a better time.
“The Nostell Priory archives will be one of the most important collections held in the new facility.”
- HS2 to bring 150 jobs but what’s the cost ?
- Eric Pickles blasts council free-sheets as “knock off imitation”
- Police and martial arts club offer ladies-only self defence classes in Normanton, Wakefield
- Apprentice Francesca Mcduff-Varley will ‘fight to the death’ to impress Lord Sugar
- Unemployment still at highest since the 1990s
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North