A CANNABIS farm worth £38,000 was shut down by police as they continue to crack down on criminals growing drugs to sell on the city’s streets.
The Rural neighbourhood police team (NPT) seized 113 plants from a house in Hall Green.
Officers raided a house on Low Moor Crescent on Sunday after receiving a tip-off.
Two people were arrested on suspicion of producing cannabis and released on bail pending further enquiries.
The NPT also busted another cannabis factory on Church Street in Woolley last Thursday.
Officers seized 18 plants of the class-B drug and arrested a 48-year-old man on suspicion of producing cannabis.
In the past 12 months officers have raided more than 16 cannabis farms across the city.
In August officers from the Central NPT raided a house on Westfield Grove in College Grove.
They found 200 plants with a an estimated street value of £80,000 growing in bedrooms which had been converted.
In July the NPT busted another cannabis factory above a shop on Doncaster Road in Belle Vue where they seized more than 100 plants
Insp Richard Close said: “Wakefield Division relies upon the valuable intelligence given to us by members of the community. All intelligence is assessed and acted upon at some stage.
“It may be that we have to corroborate the intelligence which means that we cannot act immediately but we will take appropriate action. “Please continue to report suspicious activity including people living a more lavish lifestyle than they should.
“We have had some fantastic results stripping away assets from individuals who make huge sums of money preying on the most vulnerable by supplying drugs. Why should they? They shouldn’t and with your help we can lock up local dealers.”
He urged people to look out for tell tale signs of people growing cannabis including blacked out window and a strong distinctive smell.
Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
- Letter - Find out what is really happening in the NHS
- Wakefield’s Claire Cooper named Best Actress at British Soap Awards
- Wakefield Wildcats: Mathers set for return at Hull KR as Wildcats sweat on Poore fitness
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- MP calls for halt to ‘delusional’ shake-up at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals new deadline to become Foundation Trust
- Debbie’s stilton the block after a quarter a centu-brie and “Caerphilly” going for a world record attempt
- ‘Bribes’ being offered to fill disused £14m fire control centre in Wakefield
- The Hepworth Wakefield celebrates 2nd birthday with an announcement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South