Lucky escape for Wakefield man who fell asleep with food in the oven

editorial image
0
Have your say

A 55-year-old man had a lucky escape after falling asleep with food in the oven.

Firefighters were called to the man’s flat in Homestead Drive, Wakefield, at 4.19pm today (Tuesday) after a neighbour raised the alarm after hearing a smoke detector going off.

When crews from Wakefield and Ossett arrived they found the man asleep with smoke billowing through his flat.

Firefighters woke him up and took him outside, where they treated him for smoke inhalation until paramedics arrived.

He was taken to Pinderfields Hospital by ambulance.

After taking the food out of the oven, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.

Watch commander Robin Ferguson has issued a safety warning and said the occupant had a lucky escape.

“The neighbour heard the smoke alarm and rang 999. Had it not been for that the situation could have been a lot worse.”

To book a free home fire safety check online visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/contact#safety-check or call 0800 5874536.