FIREFIGHTERS say a man who was rescued from his burning home is ‘lucky’ to be alive.
The pensioner was rescued from the ground floor of a house on Weeland Road in Sharlston on Tuesday morning.
Fire crews from Normanton, Wakefield and Featherstone attended the blaze at 5.30am.
The elderly man was taken to Pinderfields Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
The property had no smoke detectors,
Watch commander Andy England of Normanton Fire Station said: “The man had a lucky escape.
“There was extensive damage in the hallway.
“This highlights the importance of having working smoke detectors fitted in your home and keeping your doors closed at night so that if a fire does occur, it cannot spread as easy.”