Pensioner and nine-year-old girl given medical treatment after chip pan fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A pensioner and girl were treated for smoke inhalation after a chip pan caught fire in Netherton, Wakefield.

Fire crews from Ossett and Wakefield were called to a house at The Crescent at around 1.45pm yesterday (August 7).

Watch Commander Jon Brants of Wakefield Fire Station said the pan had been left unattended and had overheated.

The elderly lady had tried to put out the blaze by smothering it with a damp tea towel.

Firefighters extinguished it fully when they arrived.

The 84-year-old woman suffered minor burns to her arm. She and the nine-year-old girl were treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

There was also smoke damage to the kitchen.