Tea towel left on cooker triggers fire alert in Wakefield

LATEST NEWS Crews from three stations sent out to reported flat fire.
LATEST NEWS Crews from three stations sent out to reported flat fire.

Crews from three stations were sent to a reported flat fire in Wakefield this afternoon (Saturday).

Firefighters from Wakefield, Ossett and Normanton went to the block of flats in George Street at around 3.30pm.

They found a tea towel left on the cooker had set alight while the occupants were out.

Neighbours had raised the alarm after hearing smoke detectors sounding inside the flat.

There was no damage and nobody was injured.