Vets save puppy after she gobbled earring

rossparry.co.uk / Chris Fairweather'Picture shows playfull terrier Kandii, belonging to Margaret Heptinstall from Rhyhill, West Yorkshire showing no signs of trouble having bitten off more than she could chew when she snaffled an earring from her owner's ear.''Vets are amazed the tiny four-month-old Yorkshire terrier cross escaped serious injury after an X-ray showed that'they needed to perform emergency surgery to remove the jewellery, which came complete with a sharp spike.''Little Kandii was sat on owner Margaret Heptinstall's knee for a cuddle when she jumped up and snatched the 3cm diameter silver earring from her left lobe.''Terrified 68-year-old widow Margaret said: "Kandii was so fast. I knew straight way what she'd done, and I knew it wasn't good. I rang the vet who told me to bring her straight in."'After the X-ray, an emergency 800-pound operation to open up her stomach and remove the earring, worth just a few euros, was performed.
rossparry.co.uk / Chris Fairweather'Picture shows playfull terrier Kandii, belonging to Margaret Heptinstall from Rhyhill, West Yorkshire showing no signs of trouble having bitten off more than she could chew when she snaffled an earring from her owner's ear.''Vets are amazed the tiny four-month-old Yorkshire terrier cross escaped serious injury after an X-ray showed that'they needed to perform emergency surgery to remove the jewellery, which came complete with a sharp spike.''Little Kandii was sat on owner Margaret Heptinstall's knee for a cuddle when she jumped up and snatched the 3cm diameter silver earring from her left lobe.''Terrified 68-year-old widow Margaret said: "Kandii was so fast. I knew straight way what she'd done, and I knew it wasn't good. I rang the vet who told me to bring her straight in."'After the X-ray, an emergency 800-pound operation to open up her stomach and remove the earring, worth just a few euros, was performed.
0
Have your say

A playful puppy bit off more than she could chew when she snaffled an earring from her owner’s lobe.

Kandii, a four-month-old Yorkshire terrier cross, was saved by vets who performed emergency surgery to remove the jewellery.

Kandii, a puppy from Ryhill, was saved by vets after swallowing an earring.

Kandii, a puppy from Ryhill, was saved by vets after swallowing an earring.

She was sat on her owner, Margaret Heptinstall’s knee, when she jumped up and snatched the 3cm diameter silver earring from her left lobe.

Mrs Heptinstall, 68, of Wintersett Close, Ryhill, said: “Kandii was so fast. I knew straight away what she’d done, and I knew it wasn’t good. I rang the vet who told me to bring her straight in.”

She rushed her to Abbey Vets, in Barnsley, where vets took X-rays of Kandii to assess the damage.

They had to carry out a £800 operation to open up her stomach and remove the earring - which only cost a few Euros to buy.

Vet Louise Mallinson said that Kandii could have died if her owner had not acted as quickly as she did.

She said: “The earring was too big to pass through the puppy and it also had a sharp spike on it which would have perforated her gut, so we had to open her stomach to remove the earring.

“This is fairly major surgery due to the complications that can arise but Kandii has now made a full recovery.”

Mrs Heptinstall, a grandmother of six, bought the earrings five years ago on holiday in Greece.

She said: “When I was returned the earring it was all shiny and clean but I am not going to wear them around Kandii for fear she will eat them again. I am sticking to old-fashioned sleepers that have a better fastening. But I will keep the earrings as a reminder.”

Mrs Heptinstall got Kandii in November last year after losing her partner in July.

She said: “Kandii has never shown any signs of distress over this. She was not aware of swallowing the earring and she didn’t even seem bothered to have an operation.

“She was kept in overnight and when she was brought home the next day she was her usual giddy self. You wouldn’t have known she’d just had a major operation.”