Wakefield firefighters launch Candle Safety Week

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service area manager Ian Bitcon
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service area manager Ian Bitcon
0
Have your say

Firefighters have warned people of the deadly dangers posed by candles.

They are raising awareness of lethal consequences of leaving flames unattended during Candle Fire Safety Week.

Across the county almost 200 fires have been started by candles since 2009.

Fire safety area manager Ian Bitcon said: “The season is upon us for candles, especially as nights are drawing in and Christmas is just around the corner.

“While candles can often appear harmless, they are still a naked flame with the potential to take hold and turn into something much more sinister.

“Candles must not be left unattended, even momentarily, and people should take care to ensure they are snuffed out before bedtime.”

For safety tips visit www.westyorksfire.org