Relegation-threatened Ossett Albion failed to build on encouraging back-to-back draws as they slumped to a 5-1 defeat at high-flying New Mills in Evo-Stik League Division 1 North on Monday night.
Alex Booker fired the Dimple Wells club into a shock fifth-minute lead against the Millers but Albion’s resistance lasted just half-an-hour as Michael Fish got the hosts on level terms.
A point would have been a good one for Albion to take from a tough match but the hosts took the lead for the first time six minutes into the second half through Samuel Egerton.
The strike opened the floodgates and Christopher Luby made it 3-1 just after the hour mark before Fish doubled his tally and Michael Bowler completed the rout with three minutes to go.
The defeat was Albion’s tenth on their travels in the league this season and leaves them just a point above bottom club Garforth Town.
The Millers have been a thorn in the side of Wakefield district clubs in the last week with Wakefield FC being hit for six at Church Lane on Saturday.
The match was goalless at the break but David Chadwick broke the deadlock five minutes after the restart and the hosts did not look back in a similar ‘game of two halves’ story.
Deji Omoboye scored a brace while Daniel Douglas-Pringle and Daniel Grimshaw also found the back of the net, with a Keenan Ratcliffe own goal making it a miserable day at the office for Paul Lines and his men.
Wakefield have a chance to hit straight back tonight when Radcliffe Borough visit the Rapid Solicitors Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).
- Wakefield Wildcats: Half-time lead not enough as Wildcats go down at Hull KR
- Desperate need for more foster carers- Wakefield needs 50 families
- Were you one of Wakefield’s coronation babies ?
- X-Factor audition was heavily edited, says Wakefield's Ariel Burdett
- Wind turbine debate leaves village in a spin
- HS2 to bring 150 jobs but what’s the cost ?
- Eric Pickles blasts council free-sheets as “knock off imitation”
- Police and martial arts club offer ladies-only self defence classes in Normanton, Wakefield
- Apprentice Francesca Mcduff-Varley will ‘fight to the death’ to impress Lord Sugar
- Win tickets to watch England at Headingley this Bank Holiday
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Wakefield
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North