Bobby and Christi Shepherd inquest: Other holidaymakers ‘were also poisoned’

Christi and Bobby Shepherd
Christi and Bobby Shepherd

A previous occupant of a holiday chalet where two children died said he believes he was poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Christi and Bobby Shepherd died after they were overcome by the toxic fumes that seeped into the bungalow they were staying at the Louis Corcyra Hotel in Corfu.

The children’s dad Neil and his then partner, now wife, Ruth, were also poisoned by the fumes and both fell into a coma during the holiday in October 2006.

Andrew Pallant stayed in the same chalet just a week before an inquest was told.

The jury were told Mr Pallant and his wife Kathleen were both taken to hospital.

Coroner David Hinchliff, reading from a statement given by Mr Pallant in 2006, said: “At some point during the night of October 21 you say your wife called out and fell onto the floor and it was your concern that she had collapsed.

“She was saying she couldn’t get up.

“You got out of bed to help your wife and took two to three paces towards her and you collapsed as well.”

Mr Pallant said he and his wife were taken to a Greek clinic where a doctor said they could have been suffering from gastroenteritis or salmonella.

But when questioned by Leslie Thomas QC, the family’s solicitor, Mr Pallant said: “I think I was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The hearing had already heard how Mr Shepherd and his family booked a bungalow at the resort with tour operator Thomas Cook.

But the family were allocated a room in the main building of the hotel when they arrived on October 23, 2006.

Mr Shepherd was told by hotel staff that there would be a delay in getting a bungalow ready.

The inquest heard the reason for the delay was that Mr and Mrs Pallant’s belongings were still in the room because they were in hospital.

The hearing continues.