Council weighing up legal action to remove travellers in Wakefield

editorial image

Legal action could be taken to remove travellers from a field in Wakefield after moving onto the site earlier this month.

Four caravans have been on the field off Alverthorpe Road and Rufford Street since June 5, and are refusing to move.

Glynn Humphries, Wakefield Council’s service director for environment and streetscene, said: “We are aware of an unauthorised encampment of travellers. We are working with the police.

“We have visited the site and asked the travellers to leave. If they don’t, we’ve made them aware we will start legal action.

“We are aware of residents’ concerns over access to this land and we are actively considering measures to address this.”

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: “There’s been lots of complaints to the council but nothing seems to have been done.

“They keep coming here and the council have to go to court to get them moved. How much will all this be costing?”