Crime spree teen caged

Jordan Jones
Jordan Jones

A prolific teenage criminal has been locked up for almost six years after his part in a gang who robbed a man in his own home and attacked him with tools.

Jordan Jones, 17, also admitted carrying out 26 burglaries across the Wakefield area when he appeared at Leeds Crown Court.

A judge agreed to lift reporting restrictions preventing the media from identifying Jones due to the severity of the robbery offence.

Jones, of Queen Elizabeth Road, Wakefield, was one of three people who targeted the home of a 52-year-old man in Grantley Street, Wakefield, on June 12 last year.

The victim was asleep when they broke in around 2.30am and he was awoken by banging downstairs.

The man shouted down to the gang that he was going to ring the police but one of them replied: “We don’t care, we are coming to get you.”

The man then barricaded himself in the room but the gang kicked the door down. He was struck across the head with a spanner and a ratchet in the attack and then forced to go downstairs to show them where he kept his money.

Dale Brook, prosecuting, said the victim was unable to see properly because of blood in his eyes from the wounds.

The gang became angry when the victim turned a 
light on and he was attacked again.

Mr Brook said: “As a result of the violence he has now moved out of the house and wonders about the possibility of whether he will ever 
be able to live by himself again.”

The group stole electrical equipment and Jones stole his motorbike and was caught after a chase which involved the police helicopter .

He was then caught breaking into a home on Long Causeway, Wakefield, on November 19 after he was released on bail.

Jones pleaded guilty to robbery, aggravated vehicle taking and dangerous driving. He also admitted one offence of burglary and asked for 25 further similar offences to be taken into consideration.

The court heard Jones stole around £6,000 worth of property and caused £1,000 of damage while committing the offences.

Judge Guy Kearl QC sent Jones to a young offenders’ institution for five years and nine months.

Matthew Harding, for Jones, said his client accepted he would be facing a lengthy period in custody and wanted to change his life.