Double murderer in HMP Wakefield ‘kicks off’ after his bread ration was sliced

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 11 2006 FOOD BREAD'A sliced loaf of bread. Picture: Terry Carrott
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 11 2006 FOOD BREAD'A sliced loaf of bread. Picture: Terry Carrott

A convicted double murderer ‘kicked off’ in HMP Wakefield after his bread ration was cut, a court heard.

Killer Mark Robinson, 51, told a senior prisoner he was unhappy after bosses cut his bread quota from two loaves a week to two slices a day, which was to be stored in a container to keep it fresh.

Prosecutor Karen Medley told how the giant prisoner also informed the officer: “Well, I might kick off.”

Mrs Medley added: “Mr Robinson is a large man, approximately 20 stones, over 6ft tall and has a long history of violence.”

Magistrates heard how he killed his then girlfriend in 1979 and his former next door neighbour in 1990.

His criminal record also contains assaults on prison officers.

The court heard how violence flared on December 30, 2011 shortly after Robinson was told there would be a change to his bread allocation in January.

Magistrates heard how he kicked one officer to the groin and broke the nose of another guard who came to help.

Mrs Medley said: “He was punched to the floor by the defendant, causing it to bleed. The alarm was sounded and other officers ran to their aid. It took over ten officers to subdue the defendant.”

The felled officer suffered a broken nose, which needed to be reset by hospital staff.

The court heard how police never interviewed Robinson about the incident two years ago as he was deemed to be too dangerous and it was felt to be unsafe for them to attend.

On Friday Robinson, of HMP Wakefield, pleaded guilty to affray and causing actual bodily harm.

Mrs Medley said, given serious nature of the injury, the case should be committed for sentence to Leeds Crown Court.

Magistrate Don Walker asked unrepresented Robinson - who was flanked by prison officers in the video link booth at the jail - whether there was anything he wanted to tell the court.

But Robinson replied: “No, thank you.”

Chairman of the bench Mr Walker said: “The court feels we do not have the power to deal with these offences.

“So we are committing it to Leeds Crown Court in four weeks’ time.

“It’s academic but you will be remanded in custody until that time.”

Robinson thanked the magistrates after being told he would be sentenced in Leeds on January 31.