Men attacked in front of children outside mosque on way to Eid prayers

Gang jailed after conning elderly people
Gang jailed after conning elderly people

Two men were subjected to violent assaults in front of their children outside a mosque as they made their way to Eid prayers.

A court heard youngsters were crying with fear and cowered behind a parked car during the attack which was carried out by three men outside the Jamia Mosque, near to Wakefield city centre.

Leeds Crown Court heard Wahiad Sarwar, Said Sarwar and Allah-rahka Farooq targeted one of the men as he walked to the mosque, on Duke of York Street, on September 24 this year.

Duncan Ritchie, prosecuting, said the man had previously been bullied by the men.

Mr Ritchie said the Sarwars shouted across the street at the victim that they were “no longer on licence” and made threats to kill him.

The victim told the men he was with his family for Eid prayers and asked them to leave him alone.

Mr Ritchie said Said Sarwar approached the man and had a pointed metal object between his knuckles. The victim punched out at him to protect himself but was then attacked from behind by Farooq. He suffered cuts to his face which required stitches and damaged a tendon in his finger.

Mr Ritchie said the victim’s nine-year-old son saw the attack and could be heard crying. The victim’s friend tried to intervene but Wahiad Sarwar stopped him and punched him repeatedly in the face and head butted him.

He suffered bruising and scratches to his face. The incident was captured on CCTV.

All three men were arrested after the incident and refused to comment in interview. Said Sarwar, who has a previous conviction for drug dealing, provided a statement claiming to have been acting in self defence.

Mr Ritchie read victim statements to the court on behalf of both of the men who were attacked. They described how they were now fearful of returning to that area of Wakefield.

Said Sarwar, 41, of Geneva Grove, Wakefield, and Farooq, 24, of Pinderfields Road, Wakefield, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm. Both men were given 18 month prison sentences, suspended for two years, and were ordered to do 200 hours unpaid work. They must each pay their victim £1,000 compensation.

Wahiad Sarwar, 36, of Pinderfields Road, pleaded guilty to common assault and threatening behaviour. He was given a 12 month sentence, suspended for two years. He was ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work and pay his victim £400.

Judge Guy Kearl, QC, said: “This was an attack in broad daylight with children present who witnessed the fighting. The children can be seen on the CCTV cowering behind a car”