Stalker threatened to throw acid in ex-girlfriend's face 'so no other men would look at her'

A man who threatened to throw acid in his ex-girlfriend's face 'so no other men would look at her' has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

Thursday, 5th March 2020, 11:45 am
Updated Thursday, 5th March 2020, 12:28 pm

Nabeel Aslam was made the subject of a hospital order after admitting stalking offences against two former partners.

Leeds Crown Court heard Aslam became abusive towards both victims after splitting up with them.

The 24-year-old targeted one of the women in 2018 after their relationship ended.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leeds Crown Court

Aslam began by turning up at her home unannounced and would insult her.

On one occasion he banged on her door and threatened to beat her up when she refused to answer.

He turned up at her home on December 17, 2018, and shouted insults through the letter box as she was inside with her three children.

Aslam made references to throwing acid in her face so no other men would look at her.

He then picked up a brick and threatened to throw it through the window.

The court heard Aslam would also order taxis in the woman's name.

He gave drivers her name and address, telling them she would pay the fare.

Taxi drivers turned up at her home demanding money.

In a victim statement the woman described how she felt afraid to leave her home and was scared to answer her door.

The second victim was also targeted in 2018 following the end of their three-year relationship.

He sent the victim messages on social media before turning up outside her mother's home.

Aslam was arrested outside the property and was issued with a harassment warning.

He ignored the warning and was seen loitering outside the house six days later.

Aslam, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to two offences of stalking.

He has no previous convictions.

A doctor told the court that Aslam had been diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder.

There was evidence of psychotic symptoms in the form of him hearing voices.

The court heard Aslam had been "very unwell" when he was transferred from prison to a hospital environment but was responding well to treatment.

Kate Bisset, mitigating, said: "This is a very sad case."

Judge Mushtaq Khokhar imposed an indefinite hospital order under the Mental Health Act so Aslam can continue to receive treatment at Fieldhead Hospital in Wakefield.