Video - Know the difference between trick or treaters and trouble causers

Do you know the difference between trick or treaters and trouble causers?

Well if you don’t West Yorkshire Police have released a video to help you tell the difference.

Officers are taking part in a week of action organised by the Association of Chief Police Officers to make sure youngsters get the chance to enjoy Hallowe’en and bonfire night and that those determined to cause trouble will be identified and dealt with.

Assistant Chief Constable John Robins said: “The nights are rapidly drawing in and calls reporting anti social behaviour typically increase around Halloween and Bonfire Night and we increase the proactive work we do in our communities.”

“We are also trying to better explain just what anti social behaviour is.

“For example a group of young people walking down the street minding their own business is just that. It is harmless and is not anti social behaviour. But if that group start drinking on the street, shouting obscenities at people or are unruly then it becomes anti social behaviour – and something for officers to deal with.

“Demonstrating tolerance is also important and some circumstances often decide whether behaviour constitutes anti social behaviour or not.

“For example there is a difference between the first knock on the door from children trick or treating on Halloween and those who repeatedly knock at a door where there has been no response or the householder has asked them to go away.”

Throughout the district test purchase operations will also be taking place to stop shops selling alcohol and fireworks to underage people.

Ass Chief Con Robins said: “Anti social behaviour can blight a local community and we are doing all we can to stamp it out.

“Everyone has the right to go about their daily life without living in fear or constant misery because of the actions of others.

“It is important that everyone considers the consequences of their behaviour, and knows when what they consider to be fun crosses the line into being anti social.”

To contact police call 101 or 999 in an emergency.