Woman knocked man out with single blow after he verbally abused her at taxi rank, court is told.

A woman who knocked a man unconscious with a single punch after he verbally abused her at a taxi rank on New Year's Eve, a court was told.

Monday, 18th January 2021, 9:39 am

Lauren McGill lashed out at Philip Nicklin after he shouted "slag" at her and hurled a shoe in her direction as they all waited in the taxi queue on Finkle Street in Pontefract.

She admitted a charge of grievous bodily harm after he suffered a fractured skull from her punch and was left lying on the pavement.

Prosecuting at Leeds Crown Court, Elizabth Noble said that McGill had been celebrating New Year's Eve in 2019 with pals in the town centre and that Mr Nicklin was a friend of a friend.

Finkle Street in Pontefract.

Both had been drinking in pubs and clubs, and at one point Mr Nicklin was heard lewdly asking which female he would be going home with.

When the group got to the taxi rank in the early hours of the morning to head home, the prosecution said that Mr Nicklin was becoming aggressive and shouting at the females.

He was told to go away but refused.

Mr Nicklin later said because of the amount of alcohol he had consumed, he could remember very little from the confrontation.

One of the group had been carrying his girlfriend's shoes and Mr Nicklin grabbed them and threw them at McGill saying "You are going to get it".

At that point she threw the punch at him and he fell to the floor unconscious and bleeding.

The defendant was immediately concerned and an ambulance was called.

He was taken to Pinderfields Hospital but later discharged himself, but had to return to hospital later suffering with headaches and vomiting.

A CT scan found he had a fractured skull and four bleeds to the brain. He also had bruising to his face and a bust lip.

The court was told that he works as a HGV driver and is still unable to work.

During interview with police, McGill, of Falcon Drive, Castleford, fully accepted responsibility for her actions.

A probation report into the furloughed pub worker found her to be remorseful.

Mitigating, Frances Pencheon added: "From the very moment the offence was committed she was upset and remorseful and that's her position today.

"She deeply regrets her actions.

"There was a lack of premeditation and there was a split second decision in which she lashed out."

Judge Simon Phillips QC handed her a 14-month jail term, suspended for 24 months, gave her 100 hours of unpaid work and ordered her to pay £1,500 compensation to the victim.