Disabled woman rescued from burning house

Latest news...
Latest news...

A DISABLED woman was rescued from her blazing home on New Year’s Eve.

Firefighters had to remove the front door of the house on Esther Avenue, Lupset, before carrying the woman to safety.

The woman, who was thought to be in her fifties, was taken to Pinderfields Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after the incident at 6.30pm.

Howard Moxon, crew commander at Wakefield Fire Station, said the disabled woman was a wheelchair user and slept on a bed in the front room.

Mr Moxon said: “Fire crews broke the back door down. A few minutes in to the incident it became apparent the lady was at the front door, which was locked. We took the front door off.”

The blaze caused extensive damage to the living room and smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Mr Moxon said it was believed a discarded cigarette was the cause of the blaze