Discarded cigarette leads to house fire in Pontefract

Latest news...
Latest news...

A discarded cigarette led to a house fire in Pontefract.

Fire crews from Pontefract and Castleford were called to a property on Ash Green at around 11.45am yesterday (Wednesday).

A fire service spokesman said the blaze was caused by a cigarette but was confined to a bedroom and the occupants were outside by the time crews arrived.

He added: “Around 25 per cent of the bedroom was alight when we arrived but it did not spread to anywhere else.

“We would strongly advise people not to smoke in bedrooms.”

No-one was injured in the incident.