More cash to help prevent flooding in Horbury Bridge after Storm Ciara disaster last February

More money will be pumped into efforts to reduce the risk of flooding around Wakefield's Horbury Bridge.

Monday, 17th August 2020, 3:42 pm
Updated Monday, 17th August 2020, 5:34 pm

Dozens of homes and businesses in the area were devastated by floods caused by Storms Ciara and Dennis over successive weekends last February.

The council has now received a £60,000 grant from a regional fund to carry out work around Reid Park Beck, which will be designed to cut the risk of future flooding.

The local authority has also repaired a local pumping station and is now in the process of adopting. The pump's failure is believed to have contributed to the disaster earlier this year.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dozens of homes in Horbury were hit by flooding in February after Storms Ciara and Dennis hit on successive weekends.

The company which used to maintain it had collapsed.

Horbury and South Ossett councillor Darren Byford (Labour) said the extra funding was welcome.

He said: "It's tremendous news. It gives us a bit more certainty for moving forward with the work that we're doing.

"I was speaking to one of the residents affected just last week and I think it will give them and other residents certainty as well.

Horbury councillor Darren Byford and council leader Denise Jeffery speaking to residents after the flooding in February.

"In the short term, the council's taking responsibility for the pumps and in the longer term we're in the process of trying to adopt them so a lot of the work that was not done by other agencies we can now do ourselves.

"We're doing our best to make sure this won't happen again.

"The costs and the suffering for people involved have been horrific. The drying out process before people can get back in their homes can take a very long time, so when I say my heart goes out to them, I genuinely mean that."

The council has also applied for further grant funding from a government pot set aside for properties affected by flooding.

It says it will soon be in touch with residents who were hit back in February to discuss whether or not they are eligible, and to help them claim if so.

Councillor Matthew Morley, portfolio holder for transport, said: "We all saw the devastating impact that the storms had earlier this year on the Horbury Bridge area and we did everything we could at the time to stop further damage being caused.

"We’ve ensured that the pumping station is now fully functional and I’m really pleased that we have secured this extra funding to help us put measures in place to help alleviate further flooding issues.

"I hope that the grants available for local residents and businesses will also help to put their minds at rest that we are doing everything we can to reduce the risk of this area flooding again."

Local Democracy Reporting Service