Find out what’s on across the Wakefield district this weekend
Wakefield Pride, Pontefract Grand Prix and Agbrigg Mela are just a few of the activities going on across the Wakefield district this weekend. See below for a full round-up.
- Children can make toys at sessions at Wakefield Museum. Classes run from 11am to 12.30pm and from 1.30pm to 3pm.
- People are being invited to sample some of Yorkshire’s finest beers at Altofts Beer Festival. The event starts at 6pm tonight and is also on from 6pm on Saturday. It is taking place at The Brig (formerly Lee Brig WMC).
There will also be food and live entertainment at the event.
- Children can enjoy interactive storytelling adventures at 10.30am and 2pm at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
- The tenth annual Wakefield Pride celebrations will celebrate the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities. There will be a family fun day at The Rainbow pub, on Lower Warrengate, from noon to 9pm, with stalls and entertainment. There will also be a parade from The Rainbow pub to the New Union pub on Southgate, where other celebrations will be taking place. Stalls will line the streets and there will also be live music and entertainment. New Odyssey and The Harewood Arms will also be holding live entertainment as part of the event.
- The first Stanley Gala for more than a decade will take place. The gala will provide fun for all the family including entertainment by majorettes and an ‘It’s a Knockout’ competition. There will be a children’s fancy dress competition with the winners being decided at 1pm. A dog show will also be taking place at 3pm and people are invited to enter their pets on the day. There will be more than 60 stalls selling food, drink, clothing, jewellery and other crafts and handmade items. The gala is being held just off Lime Pit Lane and Aberford Road in Stanley. Entry is free.
- A multi-cultural festival to unite communities through sport, dance and music will be held in Agbrigg Park. There will be a bouncy castle, henna tattooing, a barbecue, football tournament, tug-of-war and arts and crafts at Agbrigg Mela Gala. The event, which will run from 1pm to 5pm, is hosted by Wakefield Young People’s Area Forum with the support of organisations including Agbrigg Youth Club, the council, Wakefield and District Housing and the police.
- Support Adoption For Pets is raising money for Hope Pastures and Barnsley Animal District Welfare with a sponsored dog walk at Pugneys Country Park on Sunday at 9am. Register at Pets at Home, Wakefield.
Visit www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk every Friday to find out what’s on over the coming weekend. Do you have a community or charity event you would like publicising on our website? Get in touch by emailing [email protected] or call 01924 433013.