Firefighters are warning people to check their smoke alarms and close doors at night to save lives.
A family were rescued from a burning house in Emley during the early hours of Thursday morning.
Two women suffered from smoke inhalation and a man suffered inhalation burns to his airway but their injuries could have much worse.
The fire started in the basement of the house.
But because the doors to the living room were shut, the amount of smoke which spread to the rest of the house was reduced.
Chris Kirby, Kirklees District Commander, said: “West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service feel strongly that we should not only emphasise the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in your home, but that closing doors becomes part of your nightly routine before going to bed.
“In the event of a fire, a closed door reduces the amount of smoke getting to the upstairs of a property and the speed at which some fires can spread. The wisdom of the occupants in this instance has ultimately saved their lives.”
For fire safety advice, or to book a home fire safety check, visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk