This week we lead on a man who brutally kicked a young dad in the head “like a football” after he was jailed for four years.
Also in news:
- Arsonists torched lorries and caused a huge fire at a factory that sent smoke billowing across the city’s night sky.
- Hundreds of people from around the world wished a former scout leader and businessman happy birthday after an appeal by his family on Facebook.
- A £1m cannabis farm was shut down by police.
- Work will begin in August on the first phase of a multi-million pound development on the east side of the city.
- Plans for a £150,000 scheme to improve transport facilities and change the road layout in Normanton town centre have been announced.
- Brian Smith will kick-off his reign as new Wakefield Trinity Wildcats head coach aiming to avoid a 15th straight Super League defeat on Sunday.
- In cricket, Ossett’s Premiership title hopes faded after their batting again let them down on Saturday.
- Openers Jonny Winwood and Tom Atkinson were in sparkling form in promoted West Bretton’s first win of the season in Pontefract League Division One.
- Former Wakefield FC defender Marc Roberts has signed a three-year contract at Barnsley Football Club after leaving Vanarama Conference side FC Halifax Town.