In today’s Wakefield Express our top story is how a man accused of wounding a takeaway worker during a large-scale disturbance in Wakefield city centre has been granted bail.
Also in news:
- Work is expected to start on a new by-pass on the east side of the city next year. The Wakefield Eastern Relief Road will link the A642 Aberford Road and the A638 Doncaster Road, with a connection also to Ferry Lane in Stanley.
- More than a quarter of primary school pupils in the Wakefield district are not making the expected grade in reading, writing and maths, the annual league tables show.
- Christmas has come early for a lucky couple who won our fabulous festive competition.
- In sport:
- Wakefield Trinity Wildcats prop Daniel Smith has joined the coaching team at Castleford based club Lock Lane ARLFC.
- Sandal will go into the new year still riding high at the top of National 3 North after a hard-fought 23-17 win over Sheffield Tigers.
- Slazenger Hockey Club men’s first team stunned league leaders Airedale with an excellent 5-2 victory.