A GREEDY dog proved its not just the crowds at Wimbledon which have a taste for strawberries.
A rottweiler from Wakefield not only gobbled up one of the summer fruits, but also swallowed the spoon it was on.
Max the mischievous hound, 10, had to have surgery to remove the five-inch spoon from his stomach and is now back home.
Owner Annette Robertshaw, 47, said her brother Colin had been visiting her and was eating some strawberries when Max took a shine to them.
Colin offered Max one on a teaspoon but was caught by surprise when the dog wolfed both items down in one gulp.
She said: “We don’t feed him anything on a spoon any more just in case.
“He doesn’t seem to be too interested in strawberries lately.”
Max was treated at a PDSA pet hospital in Leeds, where an x-ray showed the cutlery in his stomach.
Veterinary surgeon Daniel Cook said: “I have never seen a dog that’s eaten a teaspoon before although we do see lots of odd things that dogs have eaten, such as socks and children’s toys.”