Cod or Haddock? Mushy peas or curry sauce, with or without salt and vinegar, there’s nothing us Brits love more than a fish supper from the local chippy, and with literally thousands of chip shops in the UK everyone has their favourite! Now we want you to tell us which of your local chippies gets your vote.
It could be because of the freshly cooked food, traditional style dishes, select and exclusive dishes you can find in only the plaice you use. Perhaps you love the friendly staff, the traditional style or the way your fish is fried. We want to know.
We have drawn up a nominations list of chip shops and restaurants that will compete for the title of Chippy of the Year 2016. Entries will be printed in the paper for two weeks where you can then vote for your favourite to appear as a finalist.
So who is deserving of a plaice in our selection of top finalists?
Police release images of man wanted in connection with serious assault at Wakefield pub
Crack-addicted shop robber claimed pal borrowed his clothing
New coffee shop unveiled in old Genesis Barbers building in Ossett
Heartless thieves steal £600 watches from Wakefield Hospice charity shop
Video footage shows massive blaze in Ferrybridge
To vote from the list, simply return the coupon in the paper back to us, stating the full name and address of the chip shop or restaurant you wish to nominate.
Closing date for nominations is 10am on Friday, July 22, 2016.
Please be aware photocopied or defaced coupons will not be accepted. Hand delivered coupons to the office or coupons that are received after the closing date will also not be accepted.
01. Avondale Fisheries, Avondale Street, Wakefield.
02. Barracuda, Horbury Road, Ossett.
03. Blue Marlin Fisheries, Batley Road, Alverthorpe.
04. Casey’s, Bank Street, Ossett.
05. Chippy Wood, Sparable Lane, Wakefield.
06. The Codfather, Townley Road, Wakefield.
07. Cross Lane Fisheries, Horbury Road, Wakefield.
08. George A Green Fisheries, George A Green Road, Wakefield.
09. Jenny’s Plaice, Slack Lane, Crofton.
10. Kingfisher, Denby Dale Road, Calder Grove.
11. Kirkhamgate Fisheries, Batley Road, Kirkhamgate.
12. Lightwaves Fisheries, Lower York Street, Wakefield.
13. New Scarborough Fisheries, Alverthorpe Road, Wakefield.
14. Olde English Fisheries, Westmoreland Street, Wakefield.
15. PJ’s, Bradford Road, East Ardsley.
16. Queens Drive Fisheries, Queens Drive, Ossett.
17. Saint Michaels Fisheries, Horbury Road, Wakefield.
18. Tonys of Outwood, Leeds Road, Wakefield.
19. Wetherby Whaler, Calder Island, Wakefield.