Wakefield’s heatwave looks like it could come to an end, with thunderstorms forecast for Friday.
There’s nothing worse than bored children being cooped up inside all day because of the weather - so here’s the top six things to do if it rains.
1. Summer holiday family activities at West Yorkshire History Centre - Every Tuesday in August the centre will be running family friendly, make and take craft activities for children aged three to 11. The sessions will be inspired by their fascinating collections. The sessions are free, but booking is advised at wyas.eventbrite.com. Visit www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-services/events for more information.
2. The National Coal Mining for England - The rain won’t reach you when you’re 140m underground. Get kitted out with your hard hat and battery lamp to discover the harsh realities of coal mining through the centuries. Get creative with the art cart or getting hands on in the Mining Lives Gallery. There’s also a cafe to re and an indoor play area for under fives. If the weather brightens up, then head outside to see the pit ponies, explore the nature trail and play in the new adventure playground. www.ncm.org.uk
3 Xscape - There’s something for everyone at this family friendly venue. Enjoy the Volcano Falls Adventure Golf, Gravity Trampoline Park, Laserzone, tenpin bowling, Snozone, the Funstation arcades, softplay, Cineworld and 4D golf, You can also grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants.
4. Swimming - If you’re going to get wet, you might as well don your costume and head for one of the district’s swimming pools in Wakefield, Normanton, Featherstone and South Elmsall.
5. The Playstation, Ossett - Chill out with a cuppa and cake while you watch the children enjoy themselves in this soft play centre. From playing in the toddler area with the little ones to the football court with the older ones, The Playstation offers a variety of fun for little kids to big kids.
6. Movies for Juniors at Cineworld - Discounted screenings of family-friendly children’s films. There’s usually a choice of movies, and they change regularly. The film this week is Sherlock Gnomes at Wakefield and Castleford venues. Pick up a relatively cheap fun box - popcorn, drink and chocolate - for the kids as well.