Travellers set up camp on communal green space close to a specialist dementia care home and recreational social club.
Around 15 caravans moved onto land off Lady Balk Lane in Pontefract at the end of last week.
Residents have contacted the police, Wakefield Council and the office of Pontefract and Castleford MP Yvette Cooper to report that they had arrived on the land.
One Pontefract resident, who did not want to be named, said: “The land is not secured so they are able to drive straight on to it.
“It’s not the first time travellers have camped here and it is about time the council fenced the site off.”
Representatives at Ms Cooper’s office told The Express: “Several constituents have written in over the last week with concerns about a travellers camp off Lady Balk Lane.
“We have been in touch with the council and understand they will be putting an order in place to remove the camp.
“Since then, it seems that more families have arrived and we are now urgently speaking to the council and the police to see what can be done to resolve the situation.”
Glynn Humphries, service director for environment and Streetscene said: “Wakefield Council is working alongside the police to use our powers to move the travellers as quickly as possible. We are expecting they will move off the site today (Tuesday, June 28).”