Vet saves Treacle the puppy after she eats massive morphine overdose

Friday, 25th August 2017, 3:45 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:11 pm

Treacle, a 14-week-old Shih Tzu cross, from Normanton was rushed to Chantry Vets in Castleford after eating her owner’s mother’s morphine, taken to ease the pain for a serious medical condition Guillain-Barré syndrome.

The tiny pup was barely conscious after having taken up to 120 times the amount of morphine a dog can be safely given.

Treacle needed life-saving treatment to reverse the effects. The drugs were knocked off a chest of drawers, before the dog helped herself.

Sign up to our daily Wakefield Express Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Castleford vet Alasdair McGuire, said: “It was touch and go. I thought there was a risk she would stop breathing, and the quick actions of the owners and veterinary team prevented this from happening.”

Owner Lyndsey Day said: “I was distraught but Alasdair was amazing and I can’t thank him enough.”