A WOMAN who was badly burned as she transferred petrol between containers has been treated in Pinderfields Hospital.
Diane Hill, of Acomb, York, was decanting fuel in her kitchen on Thursday when it ignited.
It set fire to her clothing, resulting in 40 per cent burns.
She was treated on the scene by paramedics, before being taken to the Wakefield hospital with “serious and significant” burns to her whole body, said a North Yorkshire fire service spokesman.
Her current condition is not known.
The woman was decanting petrol from one container to another using a glass jug in the kitchen, the fumes from the gas cooker ignited the petrol vapour.
The accident took place as petrol stations ran dry during panic buying of fuel over fears of a possible tanker drivers’ strike.