Woman saved by little red dress visits firefighters who rescued her

Zoe Turner with firefighter Leon Dentico
Zoe Turner with firefighter Leon Dentico

A young woman whose skin-tight red dress saved her life has visited the firefighters who rescued her.

Zoe Turner, of Eastmoor, had been out celebrating at a Christmas party with three friends.

But on their way home, a cement mixer crashed into their taxi leaving them all with life-threatening injuries.

Doctors told Miss Turner that the £34.99 dress saved her life as it stopped her bones popping out and perforating her vital organs.

She visited the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service firefighters on Monday, who came to her aid after the horrific accident.

Miss Turner, 21, said: “I know the story is about the dress but the dress is nothing compared to what the firefighters did.

“In reality is these guys save lives. They really cared.

“I was really impressed with how they dealt with the incident.”

Miss Turner, a psychology and criminology graduate from Nottingham Trent University, wore the dress for her mum’s Christmas ‘do’ at Leeds United’s Elland Road stadium on Saturday, December 13.

She got into the taxi with friends during the early hours of the next morning.

However, shortly after their vehicle had set off, it was involved in a crash with the cement mixer.

Miss Turner was sitting in the front passenger seat, while her three friends were sitting in the back.

She said she was in immense pain following the accident.

Firefighter Leon Dentico, from Leeds Red Watch, delivered one-to-one casualty care to Miss Turner, while the other crew members cut her friends and the taxi driver free from the taxi.

She said: “When Leon got there I was petrified. He was talking to me explaining things. He said ‘you are going to be alright’ and that calmed me down.”

Miss Turner was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary where she was sent for a CT scan and given a brace to hold her pelvis together.

She had suffered multiple injuries including a fractured pelvis, fractured vertebra and a broken sternum.

The driver of the taxi suffered a broken neck and her friends sustained injuries including broken arms, broken eye sockets and a broken pelvis.

After five days in hospital, Miss Turner was sent home and said she is making a good recovery.

She said: “It is crazy to see them again. I feel lucky that I have met them and said thanks because it is quite rare for that to happen.

“I never thought something like this would happen to me. It has shown me how good our emergency services are.”