Vets examining a dog that fell seriously ill discovered it had swallowed a Kinder egg - with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy still inside.
Nine-year-old Bobo the Weimaraner was rushed to the vets for emergency treatment when he started suffering from a mystery illness.
Initial tests didn’t show what was wrong - until an X-ray revealed a strange round shape in his stomach.
Vets performed surgery on the poorly pooch and was surprised to find a yellow egg-shaped plastic box.
Veterinary nurse, Tracy Nicholson explained how shocked the surgery team were to discover what they did.
She said: “We carefully removed the item and were amazed to find not only had Bobo swallowed a Kinder Surprise egg but also that a Michelangelo Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy was still intact inside.”
Surgeons weren’t able to find the wrapping from the toy which they think could have passed through the hungry hound or he may have removed it before swallowing the chocolate egg.
Tracy added: “Foreign bodies like toys can cause blockages inside a dog’s gut and can sadly be fatal if not removed in time so they need to be treated quickly.
“If owners suspect their pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, they need to call their vet as soon as possible for advice.”
Fortunately for Bobo his forage for food didn’t do any irreparable damage and, after being cared for and monitored around the clock for two days, he was back on all four paws.
Eventually he was allowed back home under strict resting orders but continued to visit the vets for regular check ups in the weeks following his treat feast and has happily made a full recovery.