Leeds United hit back to progress in cup

Dominic Poleon shoots home the winning goal for Leeds United against Chesterfield.
Dominic Poleon shoots home the winning goal for Leeds United against Chesterfield.
Share this article

Leeds United were given a scare by League Two Chesterfield before they booked their place in the second round of the Capital One Cup.

Brian McDermott’s men had to come from behind to beat their visitors 2-1 thanks to two goals inside four first half minutes by Michael Brown and Dominic Poleon.

Home fans were relieved to hear the final whistle after Chesterfield gave it a real go and came within inches of taking the tie into extra-time when Nathan Smith hit the outside the post in the final minute.

The visitors survived early scares as Poleon and Matt Smith missed early chances and David Norris had a header cleared off the line. But they went on to play some great passing football and deserved the lead they were given in the 18th minute when Eoin Doyle headed in a fine cross by raiding right-back Drew Talbot.

Jimmy Ryan saw a long range strike well held by home keeper Paddy Kenny and Ritchie Humphreys then saw his volley easily saved before Leeds stunned their opponents with an equaliser out of the blue.

Midfielder Brown, who was one of seven changes to the starting line-up, found space on the edge of the box and let fly with an unstoppable shot that swerved past keeper Tommy Lee into the far corner of the net.

Within four minutes it was 2-1 as Aidy White won the ball in midfield and striker Poleon’s clever touch saw him race clear before sending a shot past Lee via a small deflection off defender Sam Hird.

Chesterfield looked set to equalise when winger Tendayi Darikwa got on the end of a smart move and rounded Kenny only to see Jason Pearce race back to make a superb goal-line clearance, but it remained 2-1 to the break.

After a quiet start to the second half United finally got on top for a spell, but could not put the tie to bed as Smith sent two headers wide and a shot blocked at close range by Lee.

Substitute Luke Murphy brought another save out of Lee with a strike from distance and the keeper did well to save from Poleon after he raced onto Ross McCormack’s clever pass.

But Leeds were relieved late on when Talbot and Ryan shots went straight to Kenny and when Smith’s late half-chance saw him hit the outside of the post.

The last chances fell to the hosts with Poleon taken out by Lee as he raced clear again and the resulting free-kick by McCormack deflected wide.

Match facts

Leeds United 2

(Brown 28, Poleon 32)

Chesterfield 1

(Doyle 18)

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Capital One Cup, round one

Att: 17,466

Leeds: Kenny, Thompson, Lees, Pearce, Drury, Norris (Murphy 60), Green, Brown, White (McCormack 60), Poleon, Smith

Chesterfield: Lee, Talbot, Hird, Edwards, Smith, Darikwa (O’Shea 64), Morsy, Ryan, Humphreys (Richards 77), Roberts, Doyle (Gnanduillet).

Referee: Carl Boyeson.