Ossett Town shock Workington to progress in FA Trophy

editorial image

OSSETT Town caused an FA Trophy upset on Saturday as they came from behind to defeat Blue Square Bet North side Workington at Stade France and progress to the first round.

Craig Elliott’s men were well worth the victory as they carved out the best chances, especially in the first half, and defended resolutely late on after battling back from a goal down.

Lively Town striker Shane Kelsey had five chances of his own to score in the first half as the hosts proved more than a match for their higher-division opponents.

He attempted an ambitious lob over visiting goalkeeper Aaron Taylor in the fifth minute but Workington took the lead ten minutes later through a Jonny Wright header.

The Evo-Stik Division 1 North side had a great chance to level three minutes later but Kelsey somehow shot over from just yards out from a Liam Radford cross.

Three more chances fell Kelsey’s way before the interval but Town couldn’t get on level terms.

The chances dried up somewhat in the second half but Kelsey got his reward in the 65th minute when linking up with Radford again to tap in his dangerous cross.

Gareth Arnison missed two good chances for the Cumbrians as they looked to regain their lead and avoid a replay back on home soil.

There was to be no replay, but it was Town who progressed thanks to substitute Andrew Catton’s late winner.

The hosts won a free-kick on the corner of the penalty area and Catton drilled a powerful low shot through a wall of players and into the back of the net to send the hosts through to the next round.

Town will pocket £2,300 for their victory and could face possible big-name Blue Square Premier sides including Grimsby Town and Luton Town in the next round.

The draw will take place on Monday lunchtime.

Ossett Town: Convey, Lloyd, Richardson, Cotterill, Fisher, Price, Whitehouse, Walsh, Kelsey, Baldry, Radford. Subs: Catton, Hannity, Brown, Fothergill, Crook.

Workington: Taylor, Andrews, Wright, Wordsworth, Bolton, Cowperthwaite, Mwaske, McLuckie, Wright, Connerton, Arnison. Subs: Hewson, May, Vaulks, Rowntree, Wraighte.

Referee: Glen Hart.

Attendance: 158.

See this week’s Wakefield Express for all the latest sports news from around the district.