WAKEFIELD marksman Oli Johnson has revealed to the Wakefield Express that he has drawn the attention of several clubs including Carlisle United and Barnsley since his departure from Norwich City.
The 24 year-old former Nostell MW and Stockport County striker was released by the Canaries last week but, as the January transfer window hots up, Johnson is now attracting interest from Football League clubs and is in training at Carlisle United.
Cumbrians’ boss Greg Abbott has invited Johnson to train with his troops at Brunton Park and Johnson is hoping to impress the League One promotion hopefuls with a view to securing a contract.
Johnson said: “It has gone well at Carlisle and they seem pretty happy with me.
“I am just waiting to see if they are going to offer me a deal and I am hopeful that I might find out by the end of the week.
“Any deal has got to be right for the club and me.”
Johnson was due to get a run-out in United colours today, Tuesday, but a friendly against Doncaster was called off due to a frozen pitch. He said: “It would have been an ideal opportunity for me to impress but I will have to wait and see if my performance in training is enough.”
Johnson admitted that he had several “back-up options” should Carlisle decide not to pursue his signature, saying: “I have had four or five calls from clubs expressing an interest.
“Barnsley had a chat with me. I think they saw me as a future prospect but I am hoping to get a chance of first team football in the near future.”
Read Friday’s Wakefield Express for more on this story and the latest football news.