Town’s miserable run is extended by late penalty

Ossett Town captain Alex Peterson scored a stunning overhead kick against 3-2 victors Atherton Collieries.
Ossett Town captain Alex Peterson scored a stunning overhead kick against 3-2 victors Atherton Collieries.

Ossett Town suffered a fourth defeat in an many games when they went down to Atherton Collieries 3-2 on Saturday.

Town came back to equalise twice against the Colls but a late Ben Hardcastle penalty sealed the points for the away side.

The game had little impact on the nearly-completed Evo-Stik North table, with both sides in mid-table.

Atherton took the lead in the 32nd minute after a penalty was given for a challenge on Liam O’Niel.

Adam Farrell was given the responsibility of taking the spot kick, which he calmly dispatched past Town keeper Leigh Overton.

Ossett had a stunning goal cruelly rulled out for offside at the end of the first period. Captain Alex Peterson appeared to have scored with a brilliant overhead kick that was chalked off when the linesman’s flag was raised.

Peterson was at it again and this time his effort stood to equalise for his side. Not more than a minute had gone in the second-half before his finish, with calls for offside waved away by the referee.

Atherton’s lead was soon restored, meanwhile, as Adam Farrell grabbed his second of the game, this time from open play. He ran from midfield and skipped through into the penalty area before poking the ball past Overton with a nice finish.

Hardcastle’s introduction buoyed Colls in a tightly contested second half. But, it was Town who grabbed an equaliser following confusion in the opposition defence.

Jason Yates was given room by Atherton’s back-line, allowing him to fake a shot before dragging the ball on to his other foot and beating the clearly frustrated Greg Hartley at his near post.

Colls’ next substitute teamed up with their previous one to secure the points.

Jack Kenny had been absent for the visitors for 15 games after colliding with a perimeter fence at Colwyn Bay, leaving the player hospitalised.

Kenny had a fairytale return, much to the dismay of Ossett, as he won a penalty for his side with only three minutes remaining.

Hardcastle replaced Atherton’s previous penalty taker, Farrell, to find a route past Overton.

Radcliffe Borough away represents Ossett’s next test with home games against Tadcaster Albion and Goole AFC to follow.