Wakefield FC continue strong start with Mossley point

PROVING A POINT: Shaquille Clarke-Adams scored in Wakefield FC's 1-1 draw against Mossley.
PROVING A POINT: Shaquille Clarke-Adams scored in Wakefield FC's 1-1 draw against Mossley.

Wakefield FC continued their strong start to the new Evo-Stik Division 1 North season with a 1-1 draw against Mossley at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium on Tuesday night.

Shaquille Clark-Adams opened the scoring for the Bears before Lewis Nightingale levelled matters on the stroke of half-time.

The result followed Wakefield’s 1-0 win at Radcliffe Borough to open their season on Saturday and Bears boss Paul Lines will be able to take plenty of positives from his side’s first two matches.

Lines stuck with the same starting eleven that won at the weekend and only Ryan Donoghue made his home debut with squad changes from last season at a minimum. Goalkeeper Sam Dobbs continued in goal after returning to the club and was handed the captain’s armband.

There was little between the sides in the opening ten minutes but the hosts upped their gear and Shane Hamilton, Clarke-Adams and Harry Blakey all fired warning shots at the Mossley goal.

Brian Matthews gave Dobbs his first real test in the Wakefield goal with a low shot after 16 minutes but the Wakefield goalkeeper was lucky to stay on the pitch shortly after when he came racing out of his goal and upended Douglas Carroll. The referee deemed a yellow card enough for the former Nostell man despite calls for a red from the visitors.

Dobbs watched an Andrew Keogh free-kick fly over the bar as both teams continued to push forward for the opener.

It came ten minutes before half-time when Clarke-Adams produced a clinical low finish that flew past Mossley stopper Russ Saunders and into the back of the net.

The visitors hit back and enjoyed their best spell of the half just before the interval. Ryan Grant had to clear a Mossley shot off the line with Dobbs stranded from a corner kick and the visitors also had a goal controversially chalked off for offside.

Hamilton could have doubled Wakefield’s lead but saw his powerful header well saved.

But Mossley got the leveller their pressure deserved right on half-time whistle when Nightingale struck.

The second half brought few chances at either end with Clark-Adams coming closest for the hosts and Matthews looking most dangerous for Mossley.

If anything, the visitors looked the more likely to snatch all three points and Bears substitute Cameron Lyn had to be alert to head a shot off the line.

Roy Fogarty had a couple of late chances for the hosts but a draw was a fair result and kept Wakefield’s unbeaten start to the season going.

Second-half goals from Andrew Fox and Chris Wood gave Ossett Town their first points of the season with a 2-0 home win against Ramsbottom United, but Ossett Albion suffered another cruel defeat when they let a 2-0 lead slip at Kendal Town to a 3-2 defeat. Ryan Harrison and Dale Kelly scored the Albion goals.

Wakefield FC: Dobbs, Marsden, Hardaker, Blakey, Grant, Donoghue, Turner, Bordman, Hamilton, Douglas, Clarke-Adams. Subs: Lyn, Wallace, Fogarty, Penn.

Mossley: Saunders, Blair, McDonnell, McGrath, Bennett, McGonigle, Keogh, Nightingale, Carroll, Weird, Matthews. Subs: Haslam, Hopper, Gardner, Broadbent, Madeley.