Late tries for Normanton Knights prevent Eastmoor Dragons upset

Normanton Knights beat Eastmoor Dragons last weekend.
Normanton Knights beat Eastmoor Dragons last weekend.

National Conference League Division Two leaders Normanton Knights avoided a major upset last Saturday with a late win over Eastmoor Dragons.

Normanton trailed by ten points going in to the final 20 minutes, but upped their game to run in five late tries and win the game 34-22.

Eastmoor had put themselves in the frame for a shock win thanks to tries from Michael Hoyle, Greg Wilby and Darren Fisher, while Ryan Southward was unerring with the boot as he kicked five goals.

But it was a former Dragon who came back to haunt them as Normanton’s Adie Mulcahy grabbed a try and fired over three conversions.

Normanton’s other tries came from Steve Lewis (2), Aaron Butterfield (2), Chris Woolford and Joe Crossland.

The result sees the Knights extend their lead at the top of the table to five points over second-place Shaw Cross Sharks, having played three games more.

With just three league games left this season, Normanton will have their sights set on promotion to Division One as champions.

Eastmoor, by contrast, are in danger near the foot of the table with just five points from 15 games this term, having only won twice.

They are currently kept off the bottom by Castleford Panthers, who still have a game in hand over their rivals.

Normanton will be looking for another win as they face Stanningley at home tonight.

In Division One, Stanley Rangers stunned high-flying Milford Marlins with an unexpected 22-16 home win on Saturday.

Stanley, who remain bottom of the table despite their win, led by six points at half-time and held their nerve in the second period after a Milford fightback to complete the thrilling victory.

Mufaro Muvdudu, Sam Rothery and James Senkiw all scored to give Stanley a 16-10 half-time lead, but Milford clawed their way back level with tries from Martin Loveridge, James Coates and John Elkington, Loveridge also adding two goals.

Stanley completed the win ten minutes from time when Joel Marsh went over, Danny Grice adding his third conversion of the game to ensure the points would go to Rangers.

It was only Stanley’s second win of the season, and was not enough to pull them off bottom spot as they slip towards relegation to Division Two.

Milford, in turn, missed out on a place in the top three with defeat, and currently sit fifth, seven points adrift of leaders Wigan St Judes, who play host to Stanley tomorrow.