Lights go out on Castleford as Wildcats enjoy derby victory

Danny Kirmond celebrates his try for Wakefield Wildcats at Castleford.
Danny Kirmond celebrates his try for Wakefield Wildcats at Castleford.

Wakefield Wildcats ran in six tries on their way to a 37-16 victory over Castleford Tigers at the Wish Communications Stadium.

The game was abandoned seven minutes early for safety reasons because of an electrical fault with a floodlight, but the result is expected to stand with Richard Agar’s men fully deserving their win.

The success was based on a superb first half display in which the Wildcats opened up a 25-0 lead.

Although Cas came out fighting for the second half and got back to within nine points the comeback bid was dashed in the closing stages.

Wakefield were far superior in the opening half as they scored four tries without reply and bossed proceedings after taking an eighth minute lead through Tim Smith.

Danny Kirmond was next to cross and with Paul Sykes kicking two conversions the Tigers were 12-0 down after just 16 minutes.

Cas did force some pressure after this,but it all came to nothing as the visitors comfortably dealt with kicks by Jordan Tansey, Rangi Chase and Weller Hauraki.

Wakefield looked much sharper in attack and stretched their lead on 28 minutes with a good handling move to send Peter Fox over in the corner for a try well converted by Sykes.

A fourth try followed before the break with ex-Cas full-back Richard Mathers dancing his way over before celebrating in front of angry home fans.

Sykes kicked his fourth goal and added a drop-goal to rub in the Wildcats’ superiority at 25-0 at half-time.

It was a different Cas team on show at the start of the second half and within a minute they pulled a try back as Chase sent Jordan Thompson on a charge over the line. Jamie Ellis added the conversion.

Thompson added a second try four minutes later and with Ellis goalling again it was 25-12 and all to play for again.

Back came Wakefield with Ben Cockayne denied a try by a forward pass decision against Reece Lyne, but the Tigers came up with a superb try with a move from their own half finished by Richard Owen.

However, Lee Gilmour knocked on from the restart and from the next set Fox went over in the corner for a try converted by Lee Smith.

It was Lee Smith who then had the last word with another try and his goal proved the last kick of the game when referee Ben Thaler called time early because of the electrical problem.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Thompson 2, Owen; goals Ellis 2. Wakefield: Tries T Smith, Kirmond, Fox 2, Mathers, L Smith; goals Sykes 4, L Smith 2; drop goal Sykes.

Castleford: Tansey; Owen, Shenton, Thompson, Carney; Chase, Ellis; Massey, Holmes, Mason, Gilmour, Hauraki, Millington. Subs: Walker, Clark, Huby, Emmitt.

Wakefield: Mathers; Fox, Collis, Lyne, Cockayne; Sykes, T Smith; Poore, Aiton, Wilkes, Lauitiiti, Kirmond, Washbrook. Subs: L Smith, Amor, Mellars, Annakin.

Referee: Ben Thaler.


Attendance: 7,705.