Wakefield agree to stay at Belle Vue after rent reduction

Wakefield chairman Michael Carter.
Wakefield chairman Michael Carter.

WAKEFIELD Trinity Wildcats expect to be staying at their historic Belle Vue ground next season.

Wildcats chairman Michael Carter has confirmed the club are close to completing an agreement with the Bank of Ireland and its representatives O’Hara’s, which will allow the club to continue as tenants at a reduced rent.

Carter – who described the rent being paid as unsustainable – had made arrangements for Wildcats to groundshare with Dewsbury Rams next season, after giving their landlords notice of the club’s intention to quit when the current tenancy agreement runs out in December.

“We have got an agreement in principle with O’Hara’s and the Bank of Ireland and we are waiting for the legal documents to be drawn up,” Carter said. “Hopefully we can get that tied up and we will be good to go for next year.”

Carter added: “We have got a reduction in rent, we would not be signing up to it if we had not got that. I don’t want to specify what that reduction is, but we have got a reduction on the terms of what was the original lease.”

Carter stressed he had been serious about relocating to Rams’ Tetley’s Stadium and he thanked Dewsbury chairman Mark Sawyer and his club for their support. “They have been more than accommodating,” he said. “If we weren’t able to get a suitable deal we would have been moving to Dewsbury next season. You don’t forget people who do things for you and we won’t forget how supportive they have been.”

Meanwhile, Reece Lyne is back in contention for Wildcats’ Qualifiers fixture at Sheffield Eagles on Sunday, after being dropped last week over a disciplinary matter.

Carter said: “The investigation into Reece has been brought to a conclusion and he’s back in the squad.

“The investigation into Kevin Locke and Tim Smith is still ongoing and we hope to get a conclusion in the next couple of days.

“The investigation into a separate incident involving Scott Anderson has been concluded. He has been given a warning on this occasion and he is back training full-time with the first team squad.”

Salford owner Marwan Koukash has confirmed that big-money buys Rangi Chase and Harrison Hansen will be allowed to leave the club as free agents.

Koukash has also revealed Australian forward Cory Paterson will go as part of a major shake-up as director of rugby Tim Sheens prepares to rebuild the squad following their brush with relegation.

With the club’s Super League future assured following Sunday’s Super 8s win at Widnes, Sheens is expected to announce the first of up to eight new signings in the next 48 hours. Salford had already announced the departures of Adrian Morley, who is retiring, and fellow front rowers Lama Tasi and Scott Taylor, who are joining St Helens and Hull respectively.

Former Castleford star Chase, the 2011 Man of Steel who played for England in the 2013 World Cup, was suspended earlier this month after failing to report for training on time and is now on sick leave.

“Back in June he asked for a transfer and we granted him that,” said Koukash. “As a thank-you for his service to the club, we have told him we will not ask for a transfer fee, even though we paid a very sizeable fee just under two years ago.”