Wildcats denied by last-gasp kick

Nick Scruton, try scorer for Wakefield against Hull FC.
Nick Scruton, try scorer for Wakefield against Hull FC.

Joe Westerman’s last minute conversion denied Wakefield Wildcats the full points as they took on Hull FC on Sunday.

The Wildcats were on course for their seventh Super League win of the season, but Kirk Yeaman’s late try down the left hand side allowed Westerman to draw Hull level at 20 points apiece, with what proved to be the last kick of the game.

The draw ended what would have been a three game winning run for the Wildcats under new coach James Webster.

Hull, who sit just one place and two points above the Wildcats, had won only two of their last six games, one of which being a 16-23 defeat to Wakefield in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

The visitors started out the brighter of the two sides this time around, however, as Wakefield conceded several early penalties, soaking up maintained pressure form the visiting side in the process.

Richard Owen went closest to breaking the deadlock for the hosts as he failed to make the most of Tim Smith pass when close to the try line, before Setaimata Sa sent the visitors in front with six minutes remaining of the opening period, bursting over the line after the linking up well with full-back Jamie Shaul.

It was not long before the Wildcats were back on level terms, though, as full-back Richard Mathers wormed his way though a gap in the Hull defence, maintaining his composure to touch the ball despite losing his footing on his way through.

Despite bringing themselves level before the half-time whistle it was not long before Wakefield found themselves on the back foot once more, this time through Richard Horne. Sa was again involved in the move, getting his hand free in a tackle before offloading to the half-back.

A succession of errors then followed, first allowing Wakefield to level the scores once more, before Hull found themselves back in front.

Shaul was deceived by the bounce on a kick from Smith, allowing winger Chris Riley to take advantage and draw the hosts level, before Hull once again took the lead, this time straight from the restart, after Scott Anderson dropped the ball allowing Shaul to send Kirk Yeaman over the line, with the full-back redeeming himself in the process.

The game swung Wakefield’s way once more when they were rewarded for some sustained pressure on the Hull defence. Reece Lyne scored a sublime solo effort after picking the ball up on the half-way line. The utility-back broke free using both speed and strength before touching the ball down in the corner.

With just eight minutes to play, the Wildcats then took the lead. Paul McShane made a sharp run from dummy half to feed prop Nick Scruton, who sidestepped a challenge before powering his way through from close range.

Despite the slender advantage Wakefield attempted to keep the pressure on Hull, but the visitors were buoyed in the final moments when Yeaman snatched a try down the left and Westerman timely converted his first kick of the game to send his side home with a share of the points.