Super League round-up: Wolves stay top, Salford seal first win, Dragons slay Saints

editorial image
Share this article

EARLY Super League pace-setters Warrington Wolves continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 42-10 win over Hull KR at the weekend.

Chris Riley, former Wakefield Wildcat Ryan Atkins and Ben Westwood all scored two tries apiece while Chris Bridge also got on the scoresheet for Wolves.

Tries from Rhys Lovegrove and Craig Hall had kept Rovers in the contest early in the second half but Warrington were simply too strong for their visitors.

Brett Hodgson added 14 points for Warrington with the boot.

Sam Tomkins marked his 100th Wigan Warriors appearances with a hat-trick as his side enjoyed a comfortable 46-4 win at Castleford Tigers.

Tigers, without head coach Ian Millward who was away due to a family bereavement, scored just once through Josh Griffin.

Josh Charnley and Pat Richards enjoyed two tries apiece while a score from Sean O’Loughlin, and seven goals from Richards, completed the Wigan tally.

Champions Leeds Rhinos secured an eight-try success at Widnes Vikings.

Two tries apiece for Ben Jones-Bishop, Rob Burrow and Ryan Hall were complemented by tries from Zak Hardaker and Kallum Watkins as Rhinos ran riot.

Patrick Ah Van, Rhys Hanbury and Paddy Flynn scored what turned out to be consolation tries for a Vikings side who’ve lost all four of their matches following their return to the top flight.

London Broncos pushed Huddersfield Giants all the way but Nathan Brown’s side returned back up the M1 with maximum points thanks to a 30-16 success.

Former Wildcat Danny Brough was the difference, scoring one try, having a hand in others and adding five goals.

Leroy Cudjoe scored two tries for the Giants while Kevin Brown and Joe Wardle also crossed the whitewash.

Antonio Kaufusi (2) and Jamie O’Callaghan crossed for the Broncos in front of a crowd of just 1,970.

Elliott Whitehead scored a hat-trick to help Bradford Bulls to a convincing 36-18 victory against Wakefield Wildcats on Saturday night.

The match was closely fought in the first-half, with tries from Keith Lulia and Whitehead giving them a 12-10 lead, Ben Cockayne and Steve Southern replying for Richard Agar’s men.

Danny Kirmond and Richie Mathers added more points for Wakefield in the second half but they couldn’t resist the Bulls’ charge.

Ben Jeffries was instrumental in Bradford’s success, providing pin-point kicks for Brett Kearney and Whitehead to get on the end of and score as the Bulls eased to victory with an improved second-half performance.

The match of the weekend came at St Helens as Catalans Dragons came from behind to snatch a dramatic 34-32 victory.

Daryl Millard’s last-gasp try, coupled with Scott Dureau’s touchline conversion, gave Dragons a famous victory and put them briefly at the top of Super League for the first time in their history.

Saints led 26-8 before the French side hit back with three quick tries.

Gary Wheeler’s second try kept the hosts in front before Millard’s magic late try.

There was also late drama at Salford as Salford City Reds beat Hull FC 24-22 thanks to Daniel Holdsworth’s late penalty.

Two tries from Ashley Gibson gave Salford a fine start but two tries from Brett Seymour and one for Wade McKinnon gave the Black and Whites the lead.

The hosts got back on top thanks to tries from Matty Ashurst and Sean Gleeson after the break and they held off the Hull fightback, with Holdsworth kicking the late winning penalty.

See this week’s Wakefield Express Sport for all the latest sports news from around the area.