David Potts has thanked customers for their support during this difficult time and that staff are working hard to ensure shelves remain well-stocked.
He said: "Whilst customers are stocking up, our colleagues are working around the clock to fill our stores with what you need, to serve our customers and communities and take care of one another when we need each other most.
"We want to let you know that looking after our customers and colleagues is our priority at Morrisons, ensuring we all have a clean, safe place to shop and work."
Castleford care home Fairburn Mews ordered to improve after inspectors found residents 'at risk of harm'
Wakefield woman diagnosed with brain tumour takes on charity walking challenge
Number of Covid patients being cared for by Mid Yorkshire Hosptials
18 of the worst Wakefield neighbourhoods for Covid vaccinations as BA4 and BA5 cases surge
Wakefield MP Simon Lightwood warns of ‘healthcare black hole’ as health bosses consider closing King Street NHS walk-in centre
He has outlined the new measures taken by the supermarket, including:
- Increasing the amount of food it makes in its British manufacturing sites to meet customers’ needs
- Increasing the amount of stock being sent to stores from its warehouses
- Extending its home delivery service so it can deliver to more customers on their doorstep at the times they need
- Introducing temporary purchase limits on products where there is high demand, so they remain available for longer for more customers to buy
- Increasing cleaning throughout the day to ensure high standards of food safety and store cleanliness are maintained
Morrisons has a number of stores across Yorkshire, including Harrogate, Leeds, Wetherby, Ripon, Boroughbridge, Wakefield, Pontefract, Halifax and Scarborough.
Mr Potts has also thanked all staff for their continued hard work and reassured the public that plans are in place to respond to any changes and the stores are following Government guidelines.
He added: "We expect the days, weeks and months ahead to be testing. I know that working together to support each other we will meet the many challenges we will face.
"I would like to ask all our customers, when shopping with us, to please consider others even more so everyone can buy what they need, especially those who are most vulnerable in our society. Please continue to treat our colleagues on the front line with the greatest respect.
"Thank you for shopping with Morrisons. We promise to do our very best to work together, to support our customers and each other as we face into this challenge."